Configuring Balsamiq Mockups Support in Approval Manager
Workgroups 2010 R2 introduces new support for reviewing and approving wireframe documents created by Balsamiq Mockups. This popular wireframing tool saves documents in a .bmml file format. With the 'R2' version of Approval Manager and Spark!, you can now define .bmml as a proofer file type and specify Spark! as the default proofer application. This new, built-in support allows you to review, annotate, mark-up, and approve/reject Balsamic Mockups using Approval Manager and Spark! just as you would with other file types like .png, .pdf, .jpg, etc.
To configure Approval Manager to support Balsamiq Mockups:
- Install Balsamiq Mockups on the server that is hosting the Workgroups Portal, making note of the Windows user account you use when installing/running the application.
- Log into Approval Manager as the Administrator user, and navigate to the Proofer File Type Associations link under the Administration tab.
- Add a new file type association using .bmml as the Extension and Spark! as the Proofer Application. Note: you may also use 'Native' as the Proofer Application, but this will require that each user needing to review a file will need to have Balsamiq Mockups installed on their local machines. Utilizing Spark! as the Proofer Application allows Approval Manager to use the server-installed instance of Balsamiq Mockups.
- Utilizing Balsamiq Mockups requires an additional configuration step. Click the 'here' link below the list of proofer file types to continue with the configuration process.
- If necessary, enter the Windows account user name/password to access the configuration page on the server that is hosting the Workgroups Portal. The resulting configuration page allows you to specify the Windows user account/password that was used to install Balsamiq Mockups in Step 1.
- Type the Windows user account/password that will be used to run Balsamiq Mockups on the server, and click Configure.
- To test your Balsamiq Mockups configuration, click the Test Balsamiq Rendering link. If everything has been installed/configured correctly, you will receive a message indicating that Balsamiq Mockups rendering works.
- Close the Test page, the Configuration page, and click Save in the Proofer File Type Associations to save your changes.